Job Opening: Communications Coordinator (Full-Time)
Salary: Dependent upon experience (Range: $58,500-$65,000)
Founded in 2019, Justice Action Center (JAC) is a startup social justice organization that combines the power of storytelling with impact litigation to bring justice to immigrant communities. We focus on fulfilling unmet needs historically overlooked in the nonprofit immigration space through creative legal and communications strategies that center the needs and experiences of our plaintiffs. JAC consists of seven staff based in remote locations throughout the U.S. We’re looking for a skilled Communications Coordinator to implement strategies that amplify otherwise overlooked immigrant issues.
Who We’re Looking For:
As this is a new position at a new organization, we’re searching for a sharp, creative, and curious individual to work with our Communications Director to build out a robust communications department. If you’re excited by the prospect of creating new systems and projects to implement emerging communications strategies to help shape an organization during its critical first few years, then read on!
What You’ll Do:
- Social Media (35%)
- Help manage and grow JAC’s online presence on channels like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn
- Conceptualize and create engaging messaging and graphics to amplify our work and the work of our coalitions
- Amplify the work of our coalition partners and breaking immigration news
- Media and Supporter Communications: (35%)
- Draft and distribute press releases under tight deadlines
- Track and compile press mentions
- Draft and distribute JAC newsletter
- Update and help manage website
- Managing Constant Contact subscriber database
- Project Management Support (30%)
- Interview plaintiffs to tell impactful stories
- Assist with long-term digital projects, such as building out a campaign microsite
- Help carry out communications projects that decode and uplift the work of the legal department
What You’ll Need (Qualifications):
While we know no one person will bring every criterion on this list, the successful candidate should have most of these qualifications. Don’t check all of these boxes? This is a communications position -- convince us why we should hire you anyway!
- 1-3 years of nonprofit experience (paid or unpaid), ideally in a communications role
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills with a knack for distilling complex ideas clearly and concisely, while working under tight deadlines
- Storytelling skills that humanize the impact of policies and center impacted communities
- Ability to pick up new concepts quickly and strong prioritization skills
- Basic graphic design skills (e.g., Canva, Adobe InDesign)
- Basic website management experience (e.g., WordPress)
- Comfort working remotely with diverse coalitions in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to build trusting, productive relationships with a wide range of partners and stakeholders
- Creative imagination with an eye towards furthering immigrant justice
- Commitment to JAC’s mission and values
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Demonstrated success executing online advocacy campaigns or storytelling projects
- Familiarity with immigrants’ rights or legal advocacy communities
- Experience managing organizational social media accounts
- Graphic design experience to create visually engaging content
- Ability to engage with tough questions in a thoughtful and respectful manner and with a trauma-informed approach
Benefits: Generous health and vacation package, including 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Ready to Apply?
Great! We can’t wait to learn more about you. Please send a resume (PDF), cover letter (PDF), and two samples of your work (links to press releases or op-eds, graphics you’ve produced, or anything else that might give us a sense of what makes you proud) to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll follow up.
In your cover letter, please include your pronouns, your preferred work city and state, and any languages you speak, including level of proficiency. Also, we welcome you to share in your cover letter how your professional experiences and qualifications will advance JAC’s mission through this role.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please note that this posting provides a general but not comprehensive list of the responsibilities of the Communications Coordinator position. The duties, responsibilities, and activities of the Communications Coordinator position may change at any time without advance notice. This posting does not represent a contract of employment.
JAC is an equal opportunity employer. JAC recognizes the unique and valuable skills that immigrants, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, women, and all marginalized individuals can bring to this work and strongly encourages such individuals to apply.
JAC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request a reasonable accommodation for the interview process.