Justice Action Center
Salary: Dependent upon experience (Range: $90,000 - $110,000)
Justice Action Center (JAC) is a startup social justice organization that combines the power of storytelling with impact litigation to bring justice to immigrant communities. In just over a year, the organization has secured key wins for hundreds of thousands of immigrant visa holders, and currently is on the forefront of efforts to ensure fair treatment for children seeking safety in the United States. We’re looking for a dynamic Communications Director to work alongside plaintiffs and immigrant communities and develop strategies to shine a spotlight on issues that would otherwise be overlooked.
This is a new position at a new organization, and as such, we’re looking for someone with a proven record of communications success who is willing to build a new strategy for JAC. This is an exciting opportunity to build culture at an organization’s inception, and we’re looking for someone to bring their creativity and enthusiasm to our team! The Communications Director will report to the Deputy Director.
What You’ll Do:
- Strategy: Work with advocates, litigators, and others to develop the communications goals for JAC, develop plans to reach them, and measure progress. Determine appropriate communications tactics to disseminate JAC news, publicize activities, and broaden audiences.
- Digital Communications: Manage JAC’s online presence; oversee development of JAC content (or create new resources yourself), and ensure that JAC’s website is up-to-date.
- Media Relations: Oversee earned media strategies for JAC and clients, including writing press releases, op-eds, and talking points. Pitch and place stories of strategic interest for JAC, and train JAC spokespeople and plaintiffs for interviews.
- Leadership: Work with the executive director and deputy director to develop a plan to build a communications department for JAC, including eventual new hires.
What You’ll Need (Qualifications):
While we know no one person will bring every criterion on this list, the successful candidate should have most of these qualifications. Don’t check all of these boxes? This is a communications position -- convince us why we should hire you anyway!
- At least 5 years of communications experience, with at least 3 years of campaign or project management experience;
- Experience creating engaging digital content and website copy;
- Experience successfully pitching and placing stories and op-eds in major media publications;
- A demonstrated ability to distill complicated issues into clear, persuasive messaging;
- Comfort working with diverse coalitions in a fast-paced environment;
- An ability to conceptualize and execute communications plans, including plans with heavy digital components;
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to build trusting, productive relationships with a wide range of partners and stakeholders;
- Commitment to JAC’s mission and values; and
- Familiarity with CRMs and email programs.
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Skills in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Creative Suite
- Website design and maintenance services
- Familiarity with immigrants’ rights or legal advocacy communities
- Ability to engage with tough questions in a thoughtful and respectful manner and with a trauma-informed approach
Ready to Apply?
Great. We can’t wait to learn more about you. Please send a resume, cover letter, and two samples of your work (links to press releases or op-eds, videos you’ve produced, or anything else that might give us a sense of what makes you proud) to email@example.com and we’ll follow up.
In your cover letter, please include your pronouns, your preferred work city and state, and any languages you speak, including level of proficiency. Also, we welcome you to share in your cover letter how your professional experiences and qualifications will advance JAC’s mission.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please note that this posting provides a general but not comprehensive list of the responsibilities of the Communications Director position. The duties, responsibilities, and activities of the Communications Director position may change at any time without advance notice. This posting does not represent a contract of employment.
JAC is an equal opportunity employer. JAC recognizes the unique and valuable skills that immigrants, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, women, and all marginalized individuals can bring to this work and strongly encourages such individuals to apply.
JAC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request a reasonable accommodation for the interview process.